Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This may be a reach.

So. I've had Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" playing continuously in my head since last Thursday.* (Thanks, Vampire Diaries.) In pondering why it's so catchy, I realized that the refrain has something in common with another song that often gets stuck in my head, "Ultimatum" by The Long Winters.

Now, I know that the main reason these songs are earworms** has to do with the music. But both also involve the idea of reaching and holding.

Ultimatum:
My arms miss you
My hands miss you.

Enjoy the Silence:
All I ever wanted,
all I ever needed,
Is here, in my arms.

Maybe this also has something to do with why they stick in my head. The concept of reaching out and holding and connecting. It's such an important part of life. And is it perhaps also why book jackets with images of hands are so compelling and appealing?

Or is that a crazy theory?


* There may also have been some secret apartment singing and dancing involved.
**I hate the word earworms. I can't believe I used it.

4 comments:

  1. I hate the word earworms too! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOps i hit wrong button - just said I hope you are doing well. I think about you everytime I see your book. :) BTW Love Vamp Diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, I'm just shocked that we agree on "earworm." :)

    Shelli, Are you still seeing the book out in the stores? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete