Monday, September 7, 2009

I <3 NY

NYC is not an easy place to live. The rent is high, the crowds are thick, the subways are stinky, the greenery is sparse. It's easy to find things to complain about. But when you love it, you really love it. I had one of those weekends.

I went to the US Open for the first time on Thursday night, which was so much fun. A perfect late summer evening, quality time with my sister, a full moon, and seeing the last set from four rows back because the match ended so late. Going home I had train issues that could have made me hate the city. When I tried to make the connection to my train, it was not stopping at that station, you see. So I would have had to go in the opposite direction for a stop and then switch. At 1:30 in the morning. Instead, I went out to the street and got a cab--which is a treat for me. Riding over the Brooklyn Bridge and along the BQE, looking out at the city's lights with the windows down, was the perfect end to an already great night.

Other things that I <3-ed about NYC this weekend:

* reading in the sunshine on the Brooklyn Promenade
* the Cyclone
* Nathan's fries
* fantastic fireworks over the boardwalk at Coney Island
* lots of guacamole with friends
* Prospect Park
* the full moon
* the feeling of autumn in the air
* friends
* hearing one of my favorite albums wafting out a window down the block when I walked by
* and literally as I typed the last, a FIREWORK went off outside my window!

3 comments:

  1. I always loved the pretzels from the street vendors. That was in the 60's and 70's though. Not sure how it is today. L.A. is one of those kinds of places as well. I love it even though there is so much here not to love - like the water main breaks that are happening all over my neighborhood. We've got a firetruck face down in a sinkhole this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha,

    I met you at the BYU Writing Conference...like a million other people, so no worries if you don't have a clue who I am. I read your blog when you post and I loved your post today.

    I lived in New York the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore year at BYU and I LOVED it. It's so alive. So cultural. So rich. Sigh. I just thought I'd let you know how jealous I am. Thanks for posting.

    erin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha,

    I would have loved to have gone to the US Open. Lucky you. I've never lived in NYC, but I love coming into the city. Like Erin said, "It's so alive."

    Kathy
    http://www.kathytemean.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete